For Immediate Release

April 4, 2024

Media Contact: Alyssa Armijo,
Additional Media Contact: Diana O’Brien,




Presbyterian Health Plan is providing the Community Foundation of Southern New Mexico (CFSNM) with a $25,000 community investment to support social needs, including food distribution, community health, and housing assistance, in Southern New Mexico.

New Mexico has a high rate of health-related social needs, such as food insecurity and lack of reliable housing. Addressing these needs can be challenging, particularly in rural and frontier areas of the state. With this investment, supported through Presbyterian Health Plan and Presbyterian Community Health, we aim to help patients and members in these areas achieve their best health by supporting local partnerships.

“We know just 20% of health outcomes are driven by clinical care, the other 80% comes from health-related social needs,” said Megan Moore, Executive Director of Population Health for Presbyterian Health Plan. “Partnering with existing organizations in rural communities who are addressing these needs allows us to bolster programs already in place, so their resources can benefit more New Mexicans.”

Three organizations were selected by the Presbyterian Health Plan. The funding from Presbyterian will be infused into these three programs supported by the CFSNM, all serving Dona Ana County:

  • Casa de Peregrinos is an emergency food pantry. Its Hatch location will receive $10,000 to expand food distribution services.
  • The Women’s Intercultural Center is a place for women to learn and work together to develop their social, spiritual, economic and political potential. It will receive $10,000 to support social needs navigation and Community Health Worker support.
  • Grajeda-Huckaby Low Barrier Housing is a community fund that supports individuals in need of immediate housing assistance. It will receive $5,000 for housing assistance associated with crisis intervention, substance abuse issues and rehabilitation mental health.


“Our goal is to serve, connect and support all our wonderful, diverse communities here in Southern New Mexico,” said Diana O’Brien, Director of Impact and Outreach for the Community Foundation of Southern New Mexico. “This investment will make a great impact in furthering our mission of strengthening our communities.”


About Presbyterian Healthcare Services
Presbyterian Healthcare Services exists to improve the health of patients, members and the communities we serve. Presbyterian is a locally owned, not-for-profit healthcare system of nine hospitals, a statewide health plan and a growing multi-specialty medical group. Founded in New Mexico in 1908, it is the state’s largest private employer with more than 13,000 employees.

About Community Foundation of Southern New Mexico
The Community Foundation of Southern New Mexico serves as a community resource, connects donors to needs, and supports charitable organizations in their work. At the Community Foundation, we are committed to improving the quality of life in southern New Mexico now and for generations to come. As a center for charitable giving, we support countless meaningful causes in the twelve counties we serve, which include: Catron, Chaves, Doña Ana, Eddy, Grant, Hidalgo, Lea, Lincoln, Luna, Otero, Sierra and Socorro.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Translate »